purdylola draws is where I keep my illustrations and archive the artists who inspire me. You can also find me here at Purdylola Loves for more general musings on art, music and fashion.

Sunday 12 April 2009

Fruit Flower

This project named 'Fruit Flower' was also produced while on my Graphics degree. I can't remember now whether this was in response to a specific brief or one we had to generate ourselves. I think probably the latter as the subject matter is of a very personal nature. The final piece consisted of a handmade book and matching presentation box. The idea was that this was the packaging design for a limited edition compilation album featuring songs by Nirvana, Hole and PJ Harvey. At the time I was really interested in gender politics and was in the throes of writing my dissertation about representations of women in music with a particular focus on the Riot Grrrl movement. When selecting the tracks that would feature on the album I chose ones that made reference to issues relating specifically to women such as body image, abortion and domestic violence. The art work was then produced in response to these lyrics. I remember that I wanted to use lots of tactile materials, use stereotypical female techniques (stitch etc) and lots of womb-like red, all a bit clichéd in hindsight! Mind you that is still one killer tracklist.






No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...