purdylola draws is where I keep my illustrations and archive the artists who inspire me. You can also find me here at Purdylola Loves for more general musings on art, music and fashion.

Wednesday 15 April 2009

Graphics for Grrrls

Another project from my Graphic Arts degree (1999-2002). At the time I was really into digging up graphics produced by women during the Women's Liberation movement of the 60s and 70s and had amassed quite a collection. My favourite finds were those that used humour to tackle a serious, complex issue like feminism (like in the excellent examples seen below). The work following (last 4 images) was my response to a publication design brief which required us to produce illustrations for a magazine article which documented a political issue or cause of our choice. I came up with the name 'Graphics for Grrrls' and then presented a selection of the posters and cartoons onto swatches of retro fabric from the same era. Most of the work was produced by hand although this was also one of the first times I flirted with Photoshop.







No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...