purdylola draws is where I keep my illustrations and archive the artists who inspire me. You can also find me here at Purdylola Loves for more general musings on art, music and fashion.

Sunday 25 April 2010

Yeah Yeah Yeahs

I have been spending a lot of time in my sketchbook recently, gathering images which might be relevant for the gig posters I plan to make such as album art work, on-stage photos, existing gig posters for the same bands etc. Whilst putting together these pages for the Yeah Yeah Yeahs I came up with an idea for the poster which is very much inspired by this crazy Navajo-esque poncho that Karen O wears regularly on stage. I thought that I could eventually create the bright neon colours and graphic shapes digitally in Illustrator.


First however I thought that i'd make something by hand so using some coloured card and a craft knife I put together the paper-cut below which is quite effective when the different coloured card is staggered a bit so that all the colours are visable at once.





I then made this drawing ready for scanning into Illustrator (below).




Once I had traced the image and converted it into a vector it immediately took on a new quality however I decided that if I was really going to exploit the possibilities of Illustrator I really ought to create a drawing using the software from scratch.




To give me something to work from I kept the original image of Karen on a layer so that I could refer back to it if needed (below).







Gradually I developed the poster adding in Nick and Brian as well as some text, all using the pen tool. As it was my first attempt I decided to keep all the shapes angular and not actually convert them into curves. This was partly because i really liked the effect it created and it seemed to suit the spiky vibe of the Yeah Yeah Yeahs music and partly because I'm not brave enough yet.





Final poster below. In an addmitedly unusual attack of perfectionism I realised that Nick and Brian needed to swap sides as Nick is always to the right of Karen when they perform on stage. Compositionally it also works much better now that Nick is pointing into the image rather than away. I also left the background blank so that I could print it out on different papers. It looks quite good on a cool grey colour.





1 comment:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...