purdylola draws is where I keep my illustrations and archive the artists who inspire me. You can also find me here at Purdylola Loves for more general musings on art, music and fashion.

Friday 2 April 2010

New York

I'm currently suffering from inspiration overload. I'm not sure there is anywhere in the world more inspiring to a graphic artist than the Big Apple. This was my second time there and once again I saw every conceivable site, walked around loads of galleries, went to Staten Island and back, took hundreds of photographs and picked up tons of flyers, posters and books. The only disappointment was that we didn't get to see the Tim Burton retrospective at MOMA, the queues were literally around the corner every time we passed, however we did spend a lazy afternoon in the Metropolitan Museum of Art and saw a really interesting, albeit slightly less hyped exhibition called 'Playing with Pictures: The Art of Victorian Photocollage'. The exhibition featured the work of Victorian women who were collaging up a surreal-storm long before the avant-garde artists of the early twentieth century. In fact I enjoyed it so much I bought the rather expensive accompanying catalogue (which was in fact a very big heavy book) so that I could read up a bit more on this fascinating subject.

Below are just a few of my photographs from the trip.
















No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...