purdylola draws is where I keep my illustrations and archive the artists who inspire me. You can also find me here at Purdylola Loves for more general musings on art, music and fashion.

Wednesday 28 April 2010

Grizzly Bear

I've just finished a poster commemorating the Grizzly Bear gig I went to at Manchester Cathedral last November. Originally I was going to use the watercolour (below) that I did based on a photograph of the band members. However, as much as possible I want to avoid using found images as I think it would be more interesting to create totally original responses.



With this in mind I thought about including an image of the cathedral as it's such a unique venue for a rock show so it made for a rather extraordinary gig. I hit on the idea of a grizzly bear climbing the cathedral tower King-Kong style fairly early on but it proved a bit too tricky so I settled for him grabbing onto one of the spires instead. Either way I'm quite happy with the results.

To create the image I used a similar technique to the Yeah Yeah Yeahs poster by using the pen tool in Illustrator to create shapes and build up each component of the poster. I quickly mocked up what I wanted on Photoshop and kept a jpeg in the background as a guideline of where things went in relation to each other. It's probably a bit small to appreciate on here but I tried to add more detail to the bear's face to contrast with the more simplistic shapes elsewhere, hopefully adding character.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...