purdylola draws is where I keep my illustrations and archive the artists who inspire me. You can also find me here at Purdylola Loves for more general musings on art, music and fashion.

Wednesday 6 January 2010

New Year, New Idea.

So 2010 is the year when I finally get round to making the kind of art that interests me most of all, the kind of thing that I see in books and on walls and on other people's blogs and I think: that's the kind of thing I want to make. This was partly inspired by looking through this recently purchased book (below) which is a massive retrospective of some of the most successful rock poster artists that regularly feature on gigposters.com but also because I feel like so far on my Masters I have played it safe and created the sort of work that I've always made. Work which really doesn't excite me anymore.
So what do I actually plan to do, well my aim is to produce a poster for every gig I attended in 2009 (this totals around 30) as a kind of commemoration of that event. Unlike some gig poster art which at times can seem a bit random in it's content I am going to use each gig as a starting point for a poster that I feel really sums up the band and their music. I have already booked myself on to two screen printing courses as this seems like the most obvious way to produce the posters whilst also finally giving me an excuse to try out a technique that has fascinated me for some time. I feel really excited about this project and can't wait to get started!






2 pages from my sketchbook of posters gathered here, there and everywhere (above).

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...