purdylola draws is where I keep my illustrations and archive the artists who inspire me. You can also find me here at Purdylola Loves for more general musings on art, music and fashion.

Monday 6 July 2009

Class Acts exhibition, Holden Gallery, MMU

Above (the work as I imagined it when displayed)

One Person's Trash.... (2009)

(Collection of 11 ceramic and paper altered plates: Monoprint, collage, lazertran.)

'As a collector of discarded ephemera sourced from car boot sales, charity shops, flea markets, ebay and my grandma's cupboards I have over the years accumulated shelves of objects. Often cheap, kitsch, usually originating from the 1950s/60s and always worn, used, chipped and fraying, these things are my treasures. Sentimental, nostalgic and bearing a patina accumulated from years of human handling and attic dust, the stories attached to these things resonate in my work. The layers within my collages are representative of the various stages of an object's life from production to circulation. Each china cup, glass ornament, wooden peg, tin box, plastic toy has had more than one owner, originates from across the globe and has ended up on my shelf in Norway Street. It seems fitting therefore that the representations of these objects retain their domestic identity by displaying them in frames and upon the surfaces of second-hand plates hung in a traditional domestic fashion.'

(Unfortunately the folks at MMU didn't actually hang them on the wall at all which kind of took away from the concept a bit and meant that my lovingly crafted caption made no sense. Oh well, I suppose they were lacking wall space, they did however secure them to plinths with some serious straps so there was no chance of them falling.)





No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...