purdylola draws is where I keep my illustrations and archive the artists who inspire me. You can also find me here at Purdylola Loves for more general musings on art, music and fashion.

Wednesday 4 November 2009

Julie Verhoeven

Today I found an old copy of Dazed and Confused from 2002 and did a double-take at the cover. It startled me because it reminded me so much of the painted mannequin I recently made for my last Masters project. I had completely forgotten about this photoshoot for make-up although I recall that at the time I really liked it as it was illustrated by one of my favourite artists Julie Verhoeven.
It's weird to think that the memory of these images could have hung around in my sub-conscious and in some way inspired me to make something so similar. It constantly amazes me how much as artists we soak up inspiration from everywhere and regurgitate it in our own way. It makes you question whether it's even possible to be truly original anymore.










Photographs by Jenny Van Sommers

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...