purdylola draws is where I keep my illustrations and archive the artists who inspire me. You can also find me here at Purdylola Loves for more general musings on art, music and fashion.

Saturday 15 May 2010

The Dead Weather

I've recently made a poster for the Dead Weather gig I went to last year. As usual I had a strong theme in mind, particularly in terms of colour which I knew should be a palette of moody greys. They are definitely the most gothic of Jack White's bands and so I wanted to evoke this darkness. I suppose in a way I was rather literally translating the words 'Dead Weather' by using the idea of a traditional weather house but subverting it so that it became more like a haunted house, the sort of place that the band might hang out in. This is actually the first poster where I have had to use a number of techniques to achieve my vision; the band members and text are hand-drawn, the house was made in Illustrator and it was all brought together in Photoshop.

Detail of house and band (below)


Original drawing for Jack and Alison (below). Where have you seen them before?



Close up of hand-drawn text (below)




Finished poster (below)





No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...