purdylola draws is where I keep my illustrations and archive the artists who inspire me. You can also find me here at Purdylola Loves for more general musings on art, music and fashion.

Tuesday 10 August 2010

Chew the Float



As a member of the Cottonopolis Arts Collective I am going to be showing some of my art work at Victoria Baths in Manchester this September. The baths is an incredible building which houses two original Victorian Swimming Pools that are currently undergoing extensive restoration. The brief is a site specific one and although I am yet to decide what I am going to make for it I have had a more pressing issue to overcome first as the organisers gave me the job of producing a poster advertising the show.

The name of the exhibition is 'Chew the Float' which was inspired by one of the organiser's childhood memories of swimming lessons when he would nervously chew at the float. With this as a strong image to go off and because I have been to the baths many times and have quite a few photos I had plenty to go off.

This photo (below) of one of the changing cubicles that line the edge of the pool stood out as a possible background for the poster. Once I had drawn this I made a sketch of a boy holding a swimming float up in front of his face and positioned him outside of the cubicle. Once I had got this right I set about putting the two together.




First attempt to put together the final poster (below).




Final poster (below) with added 'grunge' so it reflected the rust and peeling paint that gives the baths their nostalgic charm. The font was also selected for it's old fashioned quality.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...