purdylola draws is where I keep my illustrations and archive the artists who inspire me. You can also find me here at Purdylola Loves for more general musings on art, music and fashion.

Sunday 6 June 2010

Franz Ferdinand




Another poster completed this week, this time for Franz Ferdinand. The idea bizarrely came from the artwork for the Grizzly Bear album Vekatimest or at least the artist who created it William O'Brien. With his work in mind I began playing around with some lino and making rather crude triangle prints on different surfaces. I also wanted the poster to have a kind of Russian Constructivist feel to it as a nod to this Franz Ferdinand album cover. I also had in mind an image of lots of close-up eyeballs, one for each member of the band repeated over and over. Anyway after a few false starts and a bit of experimentation I finally reached a conclusion which sort of has a few of all these elements in it.


First attempt (below) which took me about 20 minutes to make. Speed is never the sign of a good poster so I scrapped it.





Another experiment (below) with lino and collage, making eyelashes for the eyes using the triangles.



Final poster before text and colour adjustments (below)
.



Final poster (below)
.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...